HP Mini 1000 tri-boot

I have set up my mini 1000 to boot Ubuntu 8.10, HP MIE and Windows XP. Unfortunately, the only way I know of to have both HP MIE and Windows XP, is to also load Ubuntu 8.10 so that grub recognizes the previous installs of MIE and Windows XP.
- first step was to install HP MIE by downloading the usb image creator from http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2020&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3860346&lang=en. I used the Linux based image creator since I mostly use Linux and installed on a 2G usb thumb drive. I then booted the Mini with the usb drive attached and hit F9 to choose to boot off the usb drive and install MIE. This will erase all data on your hard drive and use the whole drive for MIE.
- I then booted the Mini from an external Ubuntu 8.10 CD (you could also use a live usb disk) and started Partition Editor to resize the 60G hard drive. I changed the MIE partition to 10G and left the 1G FAT partion as is.



- Rebooted and booted my Windows XP CD to install Windows. I created a 20G partion for Windows and installed.
- Now, you will have Windows XP but will lose access to MIE. That is why I also install Ubuntu 8.10, so that GRUB will automatically pick up the MIE and Windows installations.
- So, I boot Ubuntu 8.10 CD and install creating a 26G partition for Ubuntu.
- After installation, you will see in GRUB boot menu, all 3 installations.

4 Response to "HP Mini 1000 tri-boot"

  1. om007 says:

    Great, finally someone managed it.. thanks for the info

    will try HP Mi, Win7 , MacOS ..

    OM007

    matt says:

    Just a quick note... taking a look at the XML reveals the location of the IMG ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software10/COL25940/dennis-stable-install-usb-gm-1.img

    I'm sure, over time, that this version will be updated, and this location will be obsolete.

    Dats an xcellent post..and i need intructions on how to do the same with Mac OS,win xp and MIE ,as om007 said.
    Cld u please guide me.my e- mail id is a.mohanshyam@gmail.com

    Anonymous says:

    Mr Mohan Shyam, You dont require a "." in your gmail id.

Powered by Blogger